Saturday 20 October 2012

English Civil War Royalist Pikemen

These Royalist English Civil War Pikemen are all from "Pendraken Miniatures" code EC1 Armoured Pike and have been painted to represent the King's Lifeguard. They were all initially undercoated with Vallejo Gunmetal Grey and then washed with Black Shade. I then dry brushed their armour, helmets and swords with more Gunmetal Grey. Their coat sleeves and breeches were painted with Heavy Red and washed with Red Shade. Their gloves were picked out with Heavy Ochre and their Pikes, stockings and footwear were painted with Heavy Sienna. All of these areas were washed with Umber Shade. Finally I used Heavy Skintone of their faces before applying a wash of Fleshtone Shade.
As I ultimately plan to use the “Pike & Shotte” rule set by “Warlord Games” for my English Civil War battles I decided to mount these models on a 20mm x 30mm base. With this in mind I’ve decided that a standard sized unit of 10mm Pike should consist of 36 models. As a result I plan to paint up another 18 Pikemen in order to complete the unit, although I plan for one stand to utilise some of the excellent Foot Command models “Pendraken Miniatures” manufacture in order to represent the unit’s leader Captain Robert Levens.

In order to represent an Elite Pike unit for “Pike & Shotte”, I plan for this entire unit of the King's Lifeguard to only consist of the armoured pikemen from code EC1. Hopefully that will make them stand out enough on the battle table.

No comments:

Post a Comment